Skip to main content

He Brakes the Battle

From day one of the "Sequester" my children and I have had our personal best way of staying close, especially since we can't get to each other, we can't touch each other, and we can't really see each other. Everything has transitioned to "cybernetic," which leaves a lot to be desired.

So... this is my She Shed, my temporary Haven for Devotions, my Sacred Place where I meet with God and He meets with me. No, that is not "the Eye of God" in the picture. It is my Nissan, and with windows rolled down, the sun pouring in and a nice breeze of 67 degrees blowing across my face, I sit on the now empty parking lot of Cracker Barrel facing the I-385 where the 18-wheelers roll out to carry food and provision, medical supplies, surgical masks, and swabs, and respirators across this great land. For this is the essence of the War with the Silent Enemy, as our President describes it.

And so from this Sacred Place, I can text my children, they can text me, and we can all be in this together. Whether lighthearted, serious, prayerful or just sharing information, it is a great way to communicate. At times you can feel the family camaraderie, and it's as though we're all together, all talking at once, and then there is silence, not because we don't want to hear the voices, but sometimes it is overwhelming.  One furloughed from the job they've enjoyed for years; another, yet on the battlefield, helpless to know from one day to the next if there will be need for a fever test, a swab, a respirator. And sometimes it is in the small hours of the morning after all but one have finally fallen asleep.

There's one thing for sure, we have been called to be Warriors in the service of the Most High God. And as He prepared David for the battle with his enemies, so He has prepared us for these ominous days, and here are our instructions in righteousness ... "Be not afraid nor dismayed ... for the battle is not yours, but God's."  He brakes (restrains, decelerates) the arrows and the shield, and the sword, and then He brakes the battle (Psalm 76:3).  I can't get past this verse. "There in Salem" (where His Tabernacle was situated) "brake He the arrows of the bow, the shield, and the sword" and (finally) "the battle."  Do you think God is in the process of putting the brakes to the strongholds of this hideous scourge upon our land, and finally He will brake the Battle—the backbone of evil against our country? Can we not be patient until He works His plan which has never changed? "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness;  but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."  Do your part, dear Christian. "Cry loud, spare not!" This is God's requirement of us. "We are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works..." (Ephesians 2:10).  It's our job to tell the world that Jesus Saves!!



There is reward in being patient. Not the easiest thing for us to do since we are wired for sound right now. A verse that has given comfort and hope and reward to me through the years that I've walked with the Lord is Isaiah 30:18. Usually we're the one having to wait. Wait until we get it right. Wait until the Lord can cleanse us and make us vessels fit for the Master's use. But here, notice that the Lord is waiting.

And therefore will the Lord wait 
that He may be gracious unto you, 
and therefore will he be exalted,
that He may have mercy upon you:
for the Lord is a God of judgment:
blessed are all they that wait for Him.



At the call for social distancing, three days passed as I searched the shelves of Publix and Target for things I needed and those that would sustain us for at least two weeks (just hubs and me). The shelves had begun to empty. Mind you, I'm used to going to Publix and Target on demand. You know that comfortable feeling, too! So I managed to fill the refrigerator and the pantry and now many days have passed without speaking and touching and even waving to someone other than my husband.

I wasn't sure I would be good at this, but I have found comfort in being alone with Jesus, my Bible, my books, my writing pad, my cell phone, my Brooklyn Tabernacle CD,  my computer, my snacks, my Hallmark channel. And then, without leaving my car or entering a store, I started driving around a bit, having no idea that Spring had come out in glorious form in just a week's time.





Fountain Inn is less than a mile from my house, a lovely little tree-lined antebellum town on the south end of Greenville County, with its winding backstreets and seasonal beauty. It felt good to drive it this morning, thanking God for His marvelous creation, for Salvation, full and free, for "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow."  From His Word, He told me to "Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them (the Enemy): for the Lord thy God, He it is that doth go with thee: He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." It is impossible for God to turn away from me (Hebrews 13:5). "... be content with such as ye have; for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."  I will go with you ... "even unto the end of the world. Amen" (Matthew 28:20). And that's far enough for me!!

I got this tune in my heart and couldn't stop thinking of it. We need to sing it in times like these.

Bring Back the Springtime
by Kurt Kaisar, 1970

When in the Spring, the flowers are blooming bright and fair
After the grey of winter's gone.
Once again the lark begins his tuning,
Back in the meadows of my heart.

Lord, to my heart bring back the Springtime
Take away the cold and dark of sin.
And, oh, refill me now, sweet Holy Spirit,
May I warm and tender be again.

Lord, make me like that stream that flows so cool and clear
Down from the mountains high above;
I will tell the world the wondrous story
Of the precious stream filled with your love.


Does your heart need to be warm and tender again?
The Lord will "Brake the Battle" for you.
And He will most assuredly "Bring Back the Springtime."







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was Over... The South Was Defeated

Isaac Payne rode with the last of his company to Appomattox on April 10 with no inkling of what to expect. He waited outside the perimeter. Enlisted men were not allowed to be present on the streets of the Courthouse area. Only commanding officers. Isaac was emaciated, just like all the other southern patriots who leaned hard against the white picket fence that surrounded the township. Tired, empty, and disheartened, they waited to know the end of the story. One man could scarcely be identified from the next. They all looked the same. Withered and wasted. Isaac dismounted and patted Glory. She was his only earthly possession besides his weapons. His only connection to home. He gripped the bridle and pressed his face to her thin neck, unconsciously rubbing his hand over her protruding bones. If he looked up in the distance he might see his father and brother riding the dusty road to Appomattox to join him, but how could that be? They were dead. The thought of their absence and

Upon These Fields of Glory—

It was hot and muggy. Historians declare it was steamy . Such is Mississippi in the summertime. From the banks of the swollen Tishomingo River on June 10, 1864, Union soldiers jumped by the thousands to escape the fire of a burning, raging battle in the Northeastern corner of the Sovereign State of Mississippi, in a little community known as Brice's Cross Roads. Confederate Major General Nathan Bedford Forrest pulled out all the stops to pull off one of the fiercest and most strategic battles of the Civil War. He won that battle, hands down. Late spring rains caused the narrow stream of water to overflow its banks. Union troops by the thousands, under the command of Brigadier General Samuel D. Sturgis slogged the gently sloping hills, their wagon trains pulled by mules dotting the landscape like flies on molasses, covering miles and miles of muddy terrain, until that day, untouched except by a few farm houses, a Reformed Presbyterian church, and an old log house, all set beneat

A Proper Welcome Home . . .

... After All These Years! My brother was born on May 28, 1945, the year World War II ended. In August of that same year, the Japanese had surrendered unconditionally. Unknown to my brother, who was less than three months old, the winds of war blew fiercely somewhere else on the far side of the earth as the Japanese occupied a spot north of the sixteenth parallel after the War had ended. In September of that year, Ho Chi Minh, leader of the Viet Minh, declared the Democratic Republic of Vietnam before a crowd of some 500,000 in Hanoi. But the major allied victors of World War II— the United Kingdom, the United States, and the Soviet Union—all agreed the area belonged to the French. As the French had not the wherewithal to retake Vietnam at the time, the major powers agreed that British troops would occupy the South and the Nationalist Chinese, the North. On September 14, 1945, Chinese forces disarmed the Japanese troops north of the sixteenth parallel and the British landed i