Skip to main content

Before the Snow Fell

We made the drive to
Calhoun County in my
brother's "big truck"!
I love that truck.
It serves as transportation,
a drive-in picnic
extravaganza device
at one of three fast-food
restaurants in the small
Mississippi town of Bruce,
and a proverbial roller coaster
ride when my brother
brakes for George's Chicken
in New Albany.


We knew the snow was coming, but it wouldn't have mattered. We would likely have gone anyway, for my brother's truck would have pulled every hill and bottomed out every hollow in Calhoun.

It was a windy day.

Mike and Gloria are our family genealogists, and they know where all our forebears are buried in these hills of Calhoun County. They also know old home sites, specifically of our grandmother, Mama Smith, where she lived with her family in Sarepta before she and Papa married. That's a great story for later with lots of pictures and memories.

I had wanted to be here for the homecoming and burial of Clayton Hellums' remains, but seeing his burial site and the old church where he taught Sunday School when he was a young man and before World War II... well, that was the next best thing. You see, one of the great ties that bind is that Clayton Hellums had our same kin... those men who went off to fight the Civil War and who died at Gettysburg. Clayton, like those earlier Clarks, gave his life for this country, though in a distinctively different war. Nevertheless, freedom came at great price, whether for the Confederacy in Virginia or the USA in Europe.

This post is dedicated to my friend, Gerard Louis. Gerard is, in my imagination, an outstanding French patriot, who would not stop until the remains of several of our country's sons who fell in the Foret de Parroy in France at the hands of the Germans in World War II were uncovered. He found the leading piece of evidence that they were there in that certain spot where the tank burned, and he saw the excavation through to the end, then participated in the patriotic and spiritual ceremony in his country in a way that made us all proud.

I told Gerard I went to the Mississippi gravesite and would post a picture. I'm sure he has seen many, but this one is from me.



Thanks, again, Gerard. When I think of you, I think of the many times my Mama Smith showed me the handsome photo of Clayton and told me the story. I think I speak for most of Clayton's cousins who heard that same story every time we went to our Mama's picture drawer. It was so poignant, I had to tell it in my book, House Not Made With Hands.

Again... God bless you and the other French patriots who helped to get Clayton back home.

Sincerely,
Jane Bennett Gaddy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was Over... The South Was Defeated

Isaac Payne rode with the last of his company to Appomattox on April 10 with no inkling of what to expect. He waited outside the perimeter. Enlisted men were not allowed to be present on the streets of the Courthouse area. Only commanding officers. Isaac was emaciated, just like all the other southern patriots who leaned hard against the white picket fence that surrounded the township. Tired, empty, and disheartened, they waited to know the end of the story. One man could scarcely be identified from the next. They all looked the same. Withered and wasted. Isaac dismounted and patted Glory. She was his only earthly possession besides his weapons. His only connection to home. He gripped the bridle and pressed his face to her thin neck, unconsciously rubbing his hand over her protruding bones. If he looked up in the distance he might see his father and brother riding the dusty road to Appomattox to join him, but how could that be? They were dead. The thought of their absence and

Once for All

I was just thinking… If we say that salvation is progressive— I loathe the word progressive these days—and that there is not that moment when we are set free from the law of sin and death, then we obviously are still under the law, trying by our own feeble efforts to save ourselves. How debilitating. Besides, that’s not going to happen. We don’t have what it takes. Or maybe we’re waiting for God to perform some random act of kindness toward us that will take us out of the misery of not knowing whether we’re saved or not, because it is a progressive thing, and if it is a progressive thing, then whenever will God do whatever it is He wants to do to make  it happen? See how outrageous it sounds? There is an answer, you know. Romans 8:2 says, “For the law of the Spirit of life In Christ Jesus hath made me FREE from the law of sin and death.” We never had to work for it in the first place. The freedom Christ gives is—let’s see— FREE ! Paid for in pr

The Lord Gave and the Lord Hath Taken Away

A thousand images of Daddy raced through my mind. He was a giant of a man. A prince, loving, caring. A hard worker, but never a slave to anything or anyone but the Lord and his family.  He had no enemies. His presence filled a room. His laughter was contagious. His compassion, unsurpassed. The sting of death did not touch him, though it left us aching inside. Without Ray, I would have crashed. He was holding me, praying for me. I watched my mother by the casket. She and my father had always been inseparable. Married over sixty years. She sat there smiling as hundreds of people filed through to pay their respects. Ray assisted with the funeral, and I played my mother's favorite song, Great is Thy Faithfulness . The service was a celebration of my father's life, and all his children took part. Great peace fell over me as I experienced the grace I had asked of the Lord two years before when I knew my father would soon be going home. That evening after Dad's funeral,